Here is a fun and creative Valentine’s card craft that you and your child can do together.
This is a handcrafted card that I made with my daughter for her to give to her daddy on Valentine’s Day. As you will need little hands to make the handprints on the card, it makes an ideal valentines day craft for toddlers and preschoolers.
Things you will need for this Valentine’s day card are:
- A few sheets of paper
- A pen or pencil to draw with
- A plain piece of cardstock (or you can use paper)
- Finger paint (preferably yellow)
- Red, yellow and black crayons or felt tip pens
- A heart shaped stencil
- A paint brush
- School (PVA) glue – I used Elmer’s
How to create this Valentine’s day card
- Get a piece of paper and draw around your heart stencil in the corner of the paper.
- Fold the paper into four (in half and then half again) – make sure you can see the heart.
- Cut around the heart you have drawn and this will make four separate hearts which are all the same size.
- Colour 2 hearts yellow and colour 2 hearts black.
- Use your glue and paint brush to stick the hearts on top of each other (like the image below). Make sure the top heart is yellow.
- Fold the hearts down the middle (like the image below). Get your piece of cardstock or paper (whichever you are using as your actual Valentine’s card) and fold that in half.
- Put some finger paint on your child’s hand and make a handprint on each inside page of the card.
- Glue the hearts in the centre of your card (you may want to wait until the handprints have dried to prevent the paint from smudging). Make sure the hearts are slightly raised off the paper so it’s easy to fold the card and this will also give a cool 3D effect.
- When the paint is dry, draw the antennae on top of the bee’s head and you can put hearts on top of each antenna to keep the theme of Valentine’s day. On the bee’s face, draw eyes and a smile.
- When the glue and paint have fully dried, you can then put a message on your card and decorate it however you like. You will also need to decorate the front of the card. I hand wrote the Valentine’s message on a separate piece of paper and then glued it onto the card. You can also use the heart stencil to make more beautiful red hearts on your card.